Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy Birthday Tammy Faye!

Mar. 7, 2011
Dear Tammy Faye,
You don’t even have to say Tammy Faye Bakker or Tammy Faye Messner and people know who you are. Known for one of the first television evangelist networks, PTL, you and your husband eventually would see its collapse amid sex and money scandals. You and your first husband Jim Bakker were known to live a lavish lifestyle, and even had an air-conditioned dog house for your pets. To be honest with you, if I lived in a hot climate, I might consider that for The Purse Dog!
Your husband Jim Bakker was later sent to prison, then you divorced him. Later you remarried a man named Roe Messner, who was also sent to prison.
Through it all you seemed to keep your faith in God and good humor. You stood at only 4 foot 11 and where know where bright, flashy outfits, blonde hair and heavy makeup. Often you were seen on your PTL show, emotionally asking for prayers and financial contributions with your mascara running down your face in long black streaks. I used to wonder if you hadn’t heard of water-proof mascara. I read that at one photo sitting, a makeup artist asked you to remove your false eyelashes and you refused. You said, “Without my eyelashes, I wouldn’t be Tammy Faye.”
You lost your battle with cancer in 2007 at the age of 65. Even at the end of your life you kept your faith in God. Your last message on your website was “I want everybody laughing and remember how crazy I was.”
I wonder how any of us will be remembered, Tammy Faye. Will we be remembered for our faith in God? The good we do? Our sense of humor? Our running mascara? Who knows.
Happy Birthday on what would have been your 69th birthday!
Regards, Mrs Love

No comments:

Post a Comment