Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Happy Birthday Eric Idle!

Mar. 29, 2011
Dear Eric Idle,
My family, the McCunes, have enjoyed “Monty Python’s Flying Circus” for years. I remember watching it with my brothers and sisters and laughing and laughing! Then I would go visit friends’ homes and would say, “Hey, let’s watch Monty Python!” I would be rolling on the floor in a fit of laughter. My friends would stare and me and say. “I don’t get it. What’s the big deal?” It took a strange, certain kind of humor to enjoy Monty Python.
In 1975, you and the other members of your Monty Python comedy group, released the film “Monty Python and the Holy Grail.” I was an instant fan. I watched it so many times…over and over.
As the years went on, I watched it on video with my children. What happens when you raise your children on “Monty Python and The Holy Grail?”

-When they scraped their knees, they would come to me and say, “It’s ok, Mom. It’s but a flesh wound!”
-When my girls shorts were too short, I would say: “Cover up your naughty bits!” (ok, that’s from Monty Python’s Flying Circus!”
-Playing tag with friends in the neighborhood, they would shout, “Runaway! Runaway!”
-When they told jokes, they would say, “Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Know what I mean?”
-When the gardener was working in the yard, they would say: “Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.”
-When they would get into quarrel, I would say: “Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who.”
-In school, their teachers would stare at them because they would pronounce the word “knights” as “k-nig-hts.”
-Hanging out with friends, they would ask: “What is your name? What is your quest? What is your favorite color? What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?” And of course, their friends would just stare back. If they were GOOD friends, they had the correct answers to all the questions!

I know, to some, it sounds like a bunch of gibberish, but to a true Monty Python fan, it makes complete sense!  And my children continue to be true Monty Python fans!
Happy 68th Birthday, Sir Robin the-not-quite-so-brave-as Sir Lancelot!
Your fan always,
Regards, Mrs Love

No comments:

Post a Comment