Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Birthday Mickey Dolenz!

Mar. 8, 2011
Dear Mickey Dolenz,
“Oh Mickey you’re so fine, you’re so fine, you blow my mind! Hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!”

Ok, maybe that song isn’t about you, but it should be! I grew up in the 60’s and was a huge fan of the Monkees. What?  It only ran from 1966 to 1968? Two years? Wow, with syndication, it seemed like longer. I’m sure I saw every single episode many times over!

I realize that as a result of that show, you were typecast. I can’t think of you any other way than a Monkee. Well, could be worse, don’t you think?
You see, my friend Mickey…(May I call you my friend? I feel like I know you so well.)… I grew up in a family with 4 girls—I was the most boy-crazy! Since there were 4 members of your band, and there were 4 of us girls, I decided that we should each pick one of you to be your “most devoted fan.” I assigned my older sister Vickie to you. I picked Davy, of course. Vanette was assigned to Peter, and Valerie was matched up with Peter. However, eventually everyone was upset with me. Why did I get Davy and they didn’t? Well, I’m sorry Mickey, I’m sure it’s no surprise, but Davy Jones was hands-down the cutest Monkee. Now, you were, by far, the funniest, but all 4 of the McCune girls wanted Davy! This caused a lot of arguing among us, as you can imagine. (I matched us up with The Beatles too! But that didn’t turn out well either. Everyone wanted Paul!) No resolution was ever found, however we continued to watch The Monkees each and every Saturday! We were ALL your “most devoted fans!”
Today you celebrated your 66th birthday! It’s hard to believe. You’ll always be a Monkee! Oh, Mickey you’re STILL so fine!

Happy 66th Birthday,
Regards, Mrs Love
PS. Say Hi to Davy next time you see him. (of course, I had to throw that in! haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment