Thursday, February 24, 2011

Happy Birthday George Harrison!



Feb. 24, 2011
Dear George Harrison,
I may be wishing you a Happy 68th Birthday a day too soon, since most of your life you celebrated your birthday on Feb 25th. It wasn’t until a family document was discovered, stating your birthday was actually Feb. 24th, 11:50pm. Wikipedia states Feb. 25th and the IMDb says it’s Feb. 24th. Oh well, it...’s the Internet. Who can you believe?
In most of your pictures you have a serious look. I think there should have more of you smiling. You had a great smile. And so along with this letter to you, I’ve posted my favorite picture of you.
One of my favorites of your songs was on the Beatles’Abbey Road album, “Here Comes the Sun.” It still never fails to make me smile. It was released in 1969 and although I was just a little kid back then, I was a huge Beatles fan. Whenever I hear that song, it takes me back to the years I would sleep with my little black transistor radio under my pillow each night. I would listen to radio stations that played Beatles music, along with other rock music of the time…all night long. Funny thing, I’m 50 now and do essentially the same thing, but now it’s with an iPod and earbuds in my ears…all night long.
You and Paul McCartney were classmates in England and became friends as you rode the same bus every day, carrying your first guitars. You played 26 musical instruments and once said: “I would rather be a musician than a rock star.” Paul McCartney described you as “my baby brother” and you passed away in his Los Angeles home in 2001.
A year after your passing, a tribute concert was held at London’s Royal Albert Hall, featuring your music, performed by many of your close friends, including Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, Paul McCartney, and Ringo Starr. I like to believe that in some way you were able to hear it.
Yes, George, you were considered the youngest and shyest Beatle, but I think you just went about with your life and your beliefs and music, not drawing too much attention to yourself. You were one of the good people in this world. You were one that was taken from us too soon.
“Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
And I say it's all right.”
Regards, Mrs Love

No comments:

Post a Comment