Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Happy Birthday Enya!


May 17, 2011
Dear Eithne Padraigín Ní Bhraonáin,
Sorry, I don’t speak Irish Gaelic, your native language, so may I call you Enya?
I love your music. It is soothing and relaxing. Your voice is beautiful. Critics categorize your music as “New Age.”  You, however, categorize it as “Enya” music.  Even your 4 Grammy’s are in the “New Age” category.  In your next acceptance speech you should let people know that it is “Enya” music!  

I remember hearing “Orinoco Flow” (Sail Away) for the first time in the late 80’s.  At first I thought “Enya” was an entire music group. I heard that you overlay your voice up to 8 times in many of your songs. That’s how it sounds like many people singing. In order to sing in live venues, I understand that you must sing along with taped music of your songs.  That’s the only way to achieve the same effect.

If life could have a soundtrack, Enya, I think your music would make a beautiful theme for mine. Most days I would probably pick Led Zeppelin or The Who as the theme music to my life. However, your music would calm me down and make everything seem more beautiful. No matter what I did in any given day, if there was Enya music playing in the background, it would make my life seem beautiful. Going to the grocery store, the mall, pumping gas, working, driving on the freeway, everything would be so beautiful!

The 1991 Steve Martin film, “LA Story” had 3 of your songs in it. This is where I came up with the idea that your music would be a beautiful life soundtrack. It seems hard to believe that a movie about Los Angeles would have Enya music in it.  However, it really enhanced the movie.

Now Enya, I must tell you that one of my favorite of your songs is “If I Could Be Where You Are.”  It moves me to tears when I listen to it. It describes perfectly how I feel about my late sister. I miss her terribly. One of these days I hope to visit you in your castle mansion in Ireland and I will ask you all about that song and perhaps if there’s a story behind it.

Thank you for creating, what I describe, as a big of heaven on earth. Happy 50th Birthday!
Regards, Mrs Love

No comments:

Post a Comment