Friday, November 2, 2012

Happy Birthday Burt Lancaster! You will not be forgotten!



November 2, 2012
Dear Mr. Lancaster,
Today you would have celebrated your 99th birthday.  Instead you left us in 1994 just before your 81st birthday.  I know you’re probably most famous for the “beach scene” with Deborah Kerr in 1953’s “From Here to Eternity.” And what a scene it was!  However, I want to thank you for one of your last, and perhaps not so famous, roles.  In 1989’s “Field of Dreams” you portrayed Dr. Archibald “Moonlight” Graham.  Thank you, thank you for playing that character!  No one else could’ve done it better!
Dr. Archibald “Moonlight” Graham:  “We just don’t recognize life’s most significant moments while they’re happening.  Back then I thought, ‘Well, there’ll be other days.’  I didn’t realize that that was the only day.”
And I can’t forget one of my favorite lines…you even said it as you disappeared into the corn field:  “I’d best be getting home. Alicia will think I’ve got a girlfriend.”
Such beautiful lines from such a beautiful film and delivered as only you could!
You said once: “We’re all forgotten soon or later.  But not films.  That’s all the memorial we should need or hope for.”  Thank you for all your films and beautiful work, Mr. Lancaster.  They are a great memorial to you…and you will not be forgotten.
Regards, Mrs Love

No comments:

Post a Comment